Friday, May 10, 2013

Five for Friday...Finally!

I haven't blogged in a month.  Epic.Failure.  :(  I had been doing so well, and I need/want to create and blog, but it has just been so darn busy.  About a month ago, I got a student who is legally blind.  She is a sweetheart, but the planning has gotten so much harder.  I had to do about 3 weeks worth of plans in a matter of 5 days, and ever since then I have to stay a week and a half ahead at the least.  Y'all....let me tell you.  I just don't work well this way.  Some people would love it...being ahead and knowing what's coming up...for me, um no.  I can't keep straight what I'm supposed to be doing anymore.  Am I teaching long i or suffixes?  Am I teaching inherited traits or life cycles?  Are there two weeks of school left or four?  Is it April or May?  Seriously...one day I thought it was almost May, and my daughter was like, "No it's not.  It's only April 6th."  Ha!  I feel like I'm going a little bit kooky.  Anywho...Hallelujah!  Finally a post.  And it's a Five for Friday to boot! 
1.) I have been wanting to make some awards that are hornet themed for my sweet firsties, because our school mascot is the hornet.  They would work great for bee or bumblebee too though.  I finally had time to sit down and finish them!  Yippee!  You can click on the picture below to go to my TpT store if you need some bee or hornet themed awards too!


2.) We are doing an ABC countdown like so many others.  Today we had Ice Cubes gum for I day...seriously one of the easiest things I have ever done.  And, the kids thought I was a rock star for it.  Gotta love that!  Also, we had H day, which meant crazy hair.  Here's mine...a little rainbow ponytail action.  :)


3.) We have been learning about the three Rs ever since Earth Day, and so we decided to put the reuse idea into action for our Mother's Day present.  I took pictures of all the kiddos, and then we used some old cardboard and a puzzle that was missing pieces to make a picture frame.  On the back we glued a page that says: Mom, I love you to pieces!  They loved making these, and we got our science lesson in there too.  Bonus!  I'm going to add a little ribbon for hanging, and then we will present them to our moms on our Monday breakfast celebration.  :)


4.) I finally made the glue sponge containers from Pinterest.  I can't for the life of me find the original pin that I saw it on, but can I just say enough....LIFE CHANGING.  I'm not joking.  I spend a small fortune on glue sticks each year.  Not anymore...these things are my new favorite invention.  Thank you to the smartie genius that invented these things.  It looks like there's no glue in there, but that's because the sponge has soaked it all up.  I poured about half a bottle of Elmer's into the containers I found at dollar tree, and then I just popped in a sponge from WalMart.  They have been sitting on my shelf for about two weeks just soaking up the glue.  I finally got them out to try them (see above, about trying to keep my head above water), and me and my students are in love.



5.) Last, but definitely not least, I am officially done being this year's yearbook coordinator.  The books have come in, and I have gone through my spreadsheet and sorted/labeled them to hand out on Monday.  Praise the Lord...I did it!  Yahoo!!!!  (These in the picture are just some of the yearbooks BTW.)


 Now then...a blog post and the yearbooks are done.  A girl's gotta get out of here and celebrate.  Where's my margarita!?!? ;)

6 comments:

  1. So how do the kids use those glue sponges? I am totally intrigued? Do they just press their little pieces on there? Or do they pick it up and wipe it on their paper? Does it drip? Glue sticks are the bane of my existence... so I want to try this!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we just pressed our little papers right onto the sponge making sure to press all around the edges for a good coating. Then we stuck em down. They weren't drippy at all. And then the choir of angels sang....aaaaahhhhh! :) Seriously awesome. I can still see times when I would need gluesticks, but for the most part, these are going to take over.

      Delete
  2. Hi there,
    Cute blog...I just found you. I need to check out that pinterest idea asap...it looks super cool. Great job on the yearbook - I bet that's a relief. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky. The glue is seriously awesome! Yes, as I like to say about the yearbook...I think being the coordinator once is enough. It's time to pass the torch next year. :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh! I MUST remember that glue idea for next year.! Has anyone left the lid off the container yet? Does everyone have one? Thanks for the super idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No has left the lid of yet, but I was thinking when I use them in the fall I will probably have to model, model, model that. They are not going to be trained to take care of our things yet like these kiddos are in the spring. :) I only made one for each table and they just share. Although, two per table might not be a bad idea.

      Delete